Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Monitoring My Game Plan


My first goal was to evaluate and reflect on current research and professional practice as well as looking at existing and emerging digital tools and resources to support student learning.  I feel like I need to modify my plan and narrow it down to existing and emerging digital tools and resources.  I have learned that I need to start with the technology tools that I currently have and utilize them to their fullest.  Just today, I had a technology “game” training at my site.  It was a great way to look at the technology that is currently on my campus.  I was able to see some ways to engage my students while covering any kind of content with the technology I currently possess (SMARTboard, PowerPoint, and the Internet). The information and resources seem to be landing in my hands right now.  I would like to observe some classrooms, beginning at my site to see how technology is currently being implemented.  From there I would like to branch out and see what some other school sites are doing with technology.  I feel that this will be doable because I currently have a student teacher, which will allow me some freedom to go and observe some classrooms at my site.  Additionally, I need to find some articles or journals that can provide me with ideas or facts about current and existing technologies.  A question that I have wondered about, is what are some good journals to look into that may provide me with some ideas, facts, or data concerning technology and my goal.

As far as my second goal, I have run into a wall.  My second goal was to promote global awareness.  The teacher that I was to “practice” Skyping with has not been able to practice.  I would like to try and get that done so our students can make the next step.  I am wondering if I should modify this goal by setting this goal aside and try to focus more on the first goal.  Something else that I have considered is to try and initiate Skyping with this teacher when her school day ends.  She is three time zones ahead of me and I am hoping that if I can catch her at the end of her day then maybe I can proceed with this goal.  If anyone has any suggestions, I would really love your input.

4 comments:

  1. Narrowing down my goals to just one was an idea that I contemplated as well, but I am also one that likes to push the envelope so I stuck with two. I would stick out the second goal and see if you can make it work with the other teacher, hopefully you two will catch up with each other and be able to Skype soon. If it ends up not happening, then I would put it on hold until you could find another teacher that is interested in doing the same.

    Observing other teachers is something that I wish all schools would make time for teachers to do. Watching other teachers is such a great learning experience and we can all learn a lot from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have often used the Tech and Learning magazine and websites to find new resources and tools. Observing other teachers is a fantastic way to learn what works and what doesn't. I agree with Lisa, I would keep trying your second goal, but it sounds like your first goal is going to be well worth your time and energy. You may want to consider keeping a log of what you have learned and post it in your blog! That way you have your own reference and then everyone can learn from your experience as well!

    Good luck with your goals!

    Allie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you looked on the Smart Exchange's website for Smart Board lessons? I love this website because there is lessons broken down by standards, grade-level, and topic. I often will look for a lesson and modify the lesson to meet the needs of my students.
    http://exchange.smarttech.com/#tab=0

    It is so important ot observe colleagues and feel comfortable with others observing you. Our school last year spent a day out of the room observing our colleagues and looking for ways that we could more effectively use our time. It took trust for colleagues to come into our rooms and give feedback. The more often we see one another's room the more comfortable we become in the process and inevitably we will be a better teacher because of the observations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing everyone! Thank you for all of your input and advice. I will keep both of my goals and hopefully I will be able to make a connection with the other teacher. Allie, I like your idea of keeping a log on my blog. Cami, yes I have looked in the Smart Exchange's website, although I need to explore it further. I did not know that you could look for lessons based by standards. I knew about grade level and topic though. ;) I think that the observations must have been such an amazing experience for everyone at your site. It has been brought up and discussed at our site, but unfortunately it has never been followed through.

    ReplyDelete