Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Constructionism in Practice


Constructionism in Practice
            Our resources make connections between instructional strategies and the constructionist and constructivism theory.  Our text stated, “when students generate and test hypotheses, they are engaged in complex mental processes, applying content knowledge like facts and vocabulary, and enhancing their overall understanding of the content” (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007, p. 202).  Six tasks were presented that teachers can utilize to facilitate the generation and testing of hypotheses (Pitler et al, 2007, p. 203).  Each of these six tasks made a connection with the constructionist constructivism theory.
            One of the six tasks is invention.  In this task learners investigate a need and then create a solution (Pitler et al, 2007, p. 203).  This is a great example of the constructionist theory, which involves creating an artifact and sharing it with others (Laureate Education Inc., 2011).  Another of the six tasks is experimental inquiry where learners witness an event and then try to create a hypothesis as to causes of that event (Pitler et al, 2007, p. 203).  Students then create an experiment to test their guess (Pitler et al, 2007, p. 203).  This is another example of students involved in creating something and being actively involved in determining a solution.  A student being engaged in the process of learning is part of the constructionist theory (Laureate Education Inc., 2011).
            There are many theories available to teachers to promote student learning.  Educators need to utilize the components of each of the theories to best reach their learners.  Staying abreast on how technology can be integrated with these theories can better reach the diverse groups of learners that all educators encounter.
Resources
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Program seven: Constructionist and

constructivist learning theories [Video webcast]. Bridging learning theory,

instruction and technology. Retrieved from


Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with
classroom instruction that works.Alexandria,VA: ASCD.

6 comments:

  1. Invention is one of the most important tasks listed in those six provided by the book. There will always be a need for inventors. Any product that we use one at one time or another invented by someone. These students do not understand yet but they are our future. Out of the students we teach everyday there will be inventors, presidents, congressmen, teachers, lawyers and the list goes on. They need to understand that the products they use have all come for someones "stupid" idea on the back of a napkin. If they can get a grasp on how important developing these skills are then they would be heading in the right direction. It saddens me to see a majority of my students either hating school, wanting to drop out or being bored. Being the shop teacher, i have what i would consider a slight advantage over other teachers because my room is totally hands on and i make all of my students use the tools. It is a valuable skill needed and i will make sure they know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your blog it sounds like this theory of learning would be great in a science classroom. I also agree with Ben that our students will some day be the leaders of our nation. Today's students get bored easily and this is a theory that helps them stay interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Constructivism Theory is an important element needed in today's classroom. I have been teaching for 2 years and most of my student have been kinaesthetic learners. I had to create a had on activity for these students. Overall, All of the students enjoyed doing project because they were able to be creative. One project on a comparing and contrast assignment. Students were given the freedom to select to items the want to compare/contrast and how they wanted to present it. I had never seen my students so engaged in an activity. I think they were so engaged because it was something they had interest in and the concept they were practicing was comparing/contrast. It didn't matter to me what they compared/contrast as long as they demonstrate the concept.

    Alicia R

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben,

    You are so lucky that you have the opportunity to have students create things in your classroom where that is the main focus. What has been something that you feel your students have taken away from your classroom that will impact them the most? Do you think it is the use of the tools, building something, or a combination of the two?

    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadie,

    I think this theory works well in just about any class or course. I think when children are involved in constructing something they will remember it more than if they just read about it. I do agree that students tend to get bored easily. I always feel like I am an actor and must always "be on" to keep my students engaged or involved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alicia,

    I am a hands on learner myself. I need to get my hands on something to learn it best. I could read about it, but for me, I HAVE to get my hands all over it. I try to make sure that I provide my students with multiple ways to internalize the information. I like your idea of the comparing and contrasting activity. I just introduced that skill to my students. I think I am going to steal your idea and use it with my students! Thanks for the idea.

    Marisa

    ReplyDelete