Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Week 2 Application

In my third grade classroom, I think I would use a blog initially for informational purposes and then later on to showcase student work.  My students have very little keyboarding skills since we lost our computer lab three years ago due to budget cuts.  I would like to start with the students first seeing the site and what it can do for our classroom and community.  Students and parents will see information about what is going on in the classroom.  Concepts we are learning for the month, what tests will be coming up, lunch menus, birthdays, etc. will be posted for all to see.  Then I would then like to build upon that by having students submit at least one assignment a trimester (hopefully more depending on their keyboarding skills).  Hopefully this will encourage the students to improve upon their keyboarding skills and practice at home.  I would also like to add onto this site links to things we are learning about or PowerPoint presentations about lessons being taught in the classroom.  Students and parents will be able to get help with things that students are having trouble with.  Additionally, I could possibly post the homework on here for students to get, in case they forget their homework.  I think a blog is a good tool because it can help make connections with the parents and what is going on in the classroom.  Parents will be aware of what is going on and be able to support their child at home when the child asks questions about an assignment.

5 comments:

  1. As a educator of Health and Physical Education classes, my experience in using technology during my Health lessons has been beneficial for my students in understanding the 'complete' topic of what was presented or taught during the lesson. Visual learning is extremely effective in learning and allows the students to experience a different style of teaching. For example, I have developed and created lessons where I have used Power-point presentations to present information or instruction graphically to enhance the information for the benefit of student knowledge. In addition, Power-point captures the students' attention, helps keep them interested in the lesson, and the students will be utilizing a useful and marketable technology skill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the difficulties of having limited access to computers in order for students to make use of blogging. I believe that it would be extremely difficult to have your students make use of blogging since they have such little computer skills to begin with. I think that your idea about using a blog in the classroom is a good start; this will atleast introduce the concept to the students and they can be part of what is posted. Maybe you could allow each student the opportunity to post things on the class blog site during the day with you there to assist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think blogging is a great idea. Posting birthdays is a great touch. This will personalize a little for the students. If they see their names and birthdays on the blog, they will feel like they are really part of it and hopefully this will encourage participation. It can also give them the opportunity to work on their keyboarding skills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the slower implementation of the blog with only one assignment per trimester. It is important not to overwhelm the kids, especially at first, so that they can become comfortable and accustomed with the process. I know the first time I wrote a blog, and I learned that it could be read by basically anyone that happened to stumble across it, that I was very nervous. Kids would also feel this way, especially at the grade level that you are teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have a great idea especially for your young students. It's good that they can also use the blogs to help build their keyboarding skills as well. After they have developed more with the computer, keyboarding skills and blogging you can let them start their own little blogs about topics of their interest.

    ReplyDelete